This lesson plan was created by members of Historica Canada’s teacher community. Historica Canada does not take responsibility for the accuracy or availability of any links herein, and the views reflected in these learning tools may not necessary reflect those of Historica Canada. We welcome feedback regarding the content that may be linked to or included in these learning tools; email us at education@HistoricaCanada.ca.
The student will identify Canada’s Prime Ministers since Confederation and place the Prime Ministers along a time line. The student will report on important events in the life of a Prime Minister. The student will report a significant contribution that the Prime Minister has made to the development of Canada. The student will produce a piece of art/drama that has relevance to the life of the Prime Minister.
This is a researched based project. The students will use secondary sources to find biographical information of their chosen Prime Minister. They will attempt to become the political personality through written, oral and dramatic presentation. Their points of reference in research will be date of birth, family life, hobbies and interests, education, business, political careers. Communication between the Prime Ministers will conclude this Unit.
This Unit will lead to a study of modern Parliamentary structure and procedures and culminate in a mock election.
Time Allowance: Dependent on depth of research desired
Identify Canada's Prime Ministers, place along a time line, and report significant detail about thier lives and politics. Student will present orally. This may be done in person, on video, or audio recording.
- Large Group Overview
- Independent Work: Each student will study an individual Prime Minister, finding the information necessary to fill out the Worksheet.
- Record Information in jot notes
- Collect pictures, maps, clothing, props for presentation
- Prepare assignment (report, maps, photos, videos, tape recording, interview, information, cube mobile, comic strip)
Worksheet: Prime Ministers of Canada
- "Prime Ministers" Keyword Search - The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Prime Ministers Worksheet
- Library resources
- Government of Canada publications (from local MP office)
- Video equipment
- Tape recording equipment
- Costume articles
- yogurt lids and tubs, ice cream
Supporting documents for this Learning Tool
|File type||File size||Action|
|Prime Ministers of Canada worksheet||142 KB||Download|